Tips from the BBB on How to Choose a Consumer Credit Counseling Service
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Credit Counseling Tips and other Debt Consolidation topics.
What questions should I ask of a consumer credit counseling service before signing up?
The Better Business Bureau (BBB) has become perhaps the most trusted evaluator of businesses in the world. When it comes to choosing a consumer credit counseling service, they offer plenty of advice on what to look for and what to look out for. Here are a few tips from the Better Business Bureau on how to choose a consumer credit counseling service.
- Everything should be disclosed “up front”. The costs of service should be straightforward and reasonable.
- Ask about services beyond a debt-management plan and debt consolidation.
- Is a free budgeting session available? How about other education? It all should be.
- What kinds of fees are charged for any additional counseling services?
- Is the consumer credit counseling service accredited through an independent, third-party association such as the Council on Accreditation? Are counselors certified? If not, what kind of training do they have?
- You don't need to pay a credit counselor to receive a new payment plan from a creditor. You could simply call a credit card company and ask for help on your own. All they can do is say no.
Ask all of these questions when you are choosing a consumer credit counseling service and you will know that you have made the right decision based on the most trusted business organization you can find.